5 tips to pitch game ideas for TV shows
1 - GET IT
The game is going to fuel an existing show’s audience, you must understand who they are and what they relate to. Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Adventure Time and Hey Arnold!, they all talk different languages, one that their fans understand and you should too. If you do that right, there’s a better chance at making a great pitch.
2 – 80% SHOW 20% TELL
Most likely the IP holder will want to see that you can reproduce the art style of the show flawlessly before even considering hearing your pitch. Make final art examples from the get go, and cover the 80% of your pitch with it. Use the other 20% to tell what’s the game about, what does the player do and how much does it costs.
3 – BALANCE OVER INNOVATION IN GAMEPLAY
The IP is the star, not your new experimental game idea. Adapting existing game mechanics to reflect the show’s humor and mood is always a good idea. Once you sell the game you’ll have to fine tune game mechanics and level design until your brain melts, since that’s the way to deliver a memorable experience without stealing the IP’s thunder.
4 – ORGANIZE THE READING
Start with a one sentence Overview and a gameplay image, follow with 5 Key Features and another image (progress map, menu, etc), lead to end with Core Gameplay elements with more images and finish with cost and production time.
5 – MAKE IT FUN
Have you played games based on shows? If you did, you know why I make this the 5fth point. Please make fun games, even when you use others IP’s. And show that you intent to do it on your pitch.
Hope you find this tips useful. Go sell ideas and make awesome games!